The purpose of access to the Internet at Avon Lake Public Library [ALPL] is to provide educational opportunities and greater access to information through the use of technology via the Ohio Public Library Information Network [OPLIN].
This service may be used to access any resource, engage in any communication, or conduct any activity available on the Internet or OPLIN, provided such activity can be done with standard Web browsers. The following are exceptions:
- Patrons may not send, receive or display text or graphics that may reasonably be construed as obscene.
- Patrons may not use this resource for any illegal purpose.
- Patrons may not alter, reconfigure or damage the public access workstations of Avon Lake Public Library.
- Patrons may not interfere with or disrupt others, nor invade the privacy of others.
- Patrons may not modify or gain access to files, passwords or data belonging to others; nor seek unauthorized access to any computer system, or damage or alter software components of any network, host server or database.
- Public computers are available for use to all patrons. Time limits apply.
- Minor children under the age of eight (8) must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian when using an Internet workstation. (See also, the Library’s Safe Child Policy.)
- Modification, installation or deletion of files is prohibited. Any needed files must be saved to the user’s media, not to the Library workstation’s hard drive.
- Use of personal software programs on Library workstations is prohibited.
- Misuse of the Library’s OPLIN workstations or Internet access will result in loss of Internet privileges. In particular, a patron found accessing obscene material may lose Library Internet privileges for up to one (1) year.
Wireless Internet (WiFi) Access
- Wireless Internet access is available through the Library’s network, free of charge.
- Although patrons are operating their own equipment, the Internet access itself is provided to the Library through OPLIN, and patrons are subject to the rules and regulations of OPLIN, Avon Lake Public Library, and all applicable local, state and federal laws. Furthermore, Avon Lake Public Library is not responsible for the safekeeping of personal computer equipment left unattended. The Library does not provide anti-virus protection or content filtering, and provides only minimal firewall shielding via its public connections.
The Avon Lake Public Library is not responsible for the accuracy or the content of any information found in any Web site not created by the Library itself. When using any links from the Library’s Web site, or any link that leads to a non-Library resource, users are responsible for determining the value and accuracy of the information. It is recommended that particular caution be exercised when obtaining financial, medical and legal information from the Internet.
As with other library materials, it is the parent/legal guardian of minor children who must assume ultimate responsibility for supervising access to Internet resources in the Library.