My Account

Formats and Locations


Marybelle Arnold North Coast History Room


Formats and Location

The collections housed in the Marybelle Arnold North Coast History Room are comprised of the following series and subseries of published and unpublished materials. Most materials are available in the Arnold Room. Please ask at the Information desk for additional assistance.



Books | Manuscripts | Special reports

  • North Coast history: Avon Lake, Lorain County, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County – west side, Western Reserve, Lake Erie, railroads, interurban trolley services
  • Avon Lake authors
  • Genealogy: General information, indexes to public records and U.S. census records, family histories



Newspapers | Serials (1928 – )



Maps and Atlases (1851 – 2011)


Avon Lake Maps 

Posters and other oversize artwork/large-format materials



Photographs | Visual materials (1890 – )

  • Photographs of people, places, and events in Avon Lake
  • 35mm slides contained in boxes or carousels
  • Browse many Avon Lake photographs on the Avon Lake page of the Cleveland Memory Project:



Films | Videorecordings (1969 – )

  • DVD and 16mm film:  television and amateur footage of Avon Lake events and activities, including oral history interviews and programs from Avon Lake Community Television [ALC-TV]
  • VHS tapes (not catalogued)



Sound recordings | Music recordings

  • Spoken word and musical recordings
  • Formats: CD, MP3, Cassette, LP, ¼”, audio tape



Objects | Artifacts

  • Souvenir and commemorative plates, keepsakes, pins, etc.



Collections (records specific to Avon Lake organizations)




Avon Lake Local History Art Collection – McMahan Room (lower level)


This Collection includes 40 original paintings, historic photographs, prints and several primitive renderings that illustrate the history of Avon Lake and Lorain County, Avon Lake Public Library, the Lake Shore Electric Railway and Avon Beach Park Resort, and shipping and shipwrecks on Lake Erie.  Most of the Collection had been in the Library’s possession for several decades when a restoration project was undertaken in mid-2012.  It hangs in the Library’s lower level McMahan meeting room where it can be viewed when the room is not in use.